Monday, November 26, 2012

Turkey Trot 5K - Our First Race!!

As we train for the 10 mile Run for the Arts in April, Coach Charles thought we should schedule a couple of "milestone" races between now and then. So, Amy, Karen, Carolina, and I ran the 5K Turkey Trot in New Cumberland on Thanksgiving morning along with 2,000+ other crazy people.

Look! We're runners:

We missed Coach Charles who was spending Thanksgiving with some Germans, but Melissa was there to warm our muscles and our hearts. We did great! I had two personal goals:
1. Finish it in under an hour, and
2. Don't be last.
I'm happy to say I made both of those personal goals.

WE DID IT!! And we were awesome! So, now I offer you, in true Letterman-style, the Top Ten Reasons to Run the Turkey Trot in New Cumberland on Thanksgiving Morning:

10. Why the heck not?
9. Grown men wear turkey hats.
8. The start of the race is.... something. Jogging in a sea of 2,000 people is a special kind of awkward you really need to experience. I would have loved to have seen that from above.
7. You're doing nothing else Thanksgiving morning. Unless you're the cook. Then you're doing a lot Thanksgiving morning.
6. You can justify eating thirds of everything at dinner.
5. When I said, "I would have loved to have seen that from above," I meant from a helicopter or something. Not from Heaven.
4. Someone is stationed every half mile or so to cheer you on. (And to make sure you don't veer off the trail and end up in Ohio.)
3. You get cool gifts, some of which are kinda shady and bring you pause.
2. Did I mention feeling like you can eat whatever you want?
1. YOU GET A COOL NUMBER TO PIN ON YOUR SHIRT AND THEN YOU WEAR IT ALL DAY LIKE A DORK!

Here are our times!
Amy: 33:17 (10:44/mile)
Karen: 39:01 (12:35/mile)
Jennie: 42:45 (13:47/mile)
Carolina: 44:39 (14:24/mile)
GO GAMUT GIRLS!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment