Monday, November 26, 2012

Amy's Post - Hi Y'all!

Wow - this has been quite a journey so far.  Let's go back a bit...

So, approximately 5-6 weeks ago, I met my good girlfriends at Charles Hooker's house in order to start this running journey extravaganza.  I was nervous, worried, and positive that I would not be able to run - at all.  Having never really played sports (only in the shadow of my much more sportily-gifted sister), I thought running would render me an utter failure in the world of being physically active - as usual. 

Well, there is a magic that happens when good people get together and are supported by a patient, caring coach.  Sports-shmorts - I am running!

The past few weeks of Sunday runs have produced a much happier, less-stressed me.  I look forward to our runs together as a team, and I think of my individual jaunts almost as therapy - I know I'm going to struggle a little bit, but afterwards I feel so good - so ready to tackle the rest of my day, that the small-time struggle just falls away; it doesn't matter.

When Jennie threw out the idea of signing up for the Turkey Trot, I thought - YES!  Let's DO IT!  A few days later, KG and I mapped out the course, and I have to say, this helped me a bunch.  Knowing where I was going / what to expect made me relax during the actual run.  Note to self - repeat this for any other upcoming races!  :)

Race Day, as I've come to expect, contained supportive, caring friends and (surprisingly!) family (calls from / to my family in Colorado and a shocking message afterwards that my cousin finished about 2 minutes behind me...what??) which made the experience a soon-to-be tradition for me.  Because I was surrounded by racers ALL THE TIME during the race, my competitive side started to emerge bit by bit.  I wanted to keep going; I knew I could do it; I felt the pride that is connected to completing a goal.  Heading toward the finish line, I saw my husband Dan - taking pictures and yelling "Woo Hoo...GO, Amy!"  His words of encouragement helped me to jog across the finish line, and man, as I did, that the rush of adrenaline definitely kicked in.  I immediately joined Melissa and friends to cheer on the rest of the team. 

The team - KG, Carolina and Jennie - we were a team that day. 

So now, I'm loving my runs through New Cumberland, and I look forward to our Sunday runs as a member of The Gamut Girl Squad.  I'll admit - I'm still a little nervous about running a 10K...this seems like a LONG WAY, and it is - but my team and I will make it.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment