Thursday, March 15, 2012

Long time no blog...

So it's a little over 2 weeks until the big race and I am super excited!

I just realized that I haven't blogged about my training at all...

And now it's time for a breakdown...

[History that may or may not be important...but I feel like it explains why I wanted to do this race] A few years ago I was having some health issues, so I went to an awesome homeopathic doctor. I then became somewhat obsessed with organic living and completely changed my way of life. I watched nearly every documentary about food (Food Matters is amazing and I totally recommend it), read a few books on raw living, and then proceeded to read every ingredients list on not only my food but also my deodorant, face-wash, etc. I highly recommend the book What's in Your Food as a reference of additives and if they're good or not.

ANYWAY! Long story short, I did all of that plus used some of the p90x DVDs as my exercise and I lost 50 pounds! When I heard about the Run for the Arts, it was the summer of 2011. I had all of this momentum going from the weight loss and exercising and I thought, "That's almost a year away! I can train for that!" So I apparently did, since we are almost there and I just ran 8.2 miles last weekend!

So we have been training for 8 months and I went from freaking out over running a mile, to freaking out over running a 5k, to freaking out over running a 10k, to now where I'm freaking out over running 10 miles! But thinking back to where I began and looking at where I am now really blows my mind. I feel like a completely different person. I have grown-up a lot and have become a very positive and easy-going person. Who knew?

I have grown to love running SO much that after the April 1st 10-miler, I will be running in the May 6th Pittsburgh Half-Marathon! Our amazing trainer, Charles, has kindly agreed to help me prepare for those Pittsburgh hills! I know that none of us on the Gamut Girl Squad couldn't have done any of this without Charles. He seriously is the absolute best. Soooooo for a tribute, I'd like to share some Trainer-Charles with everyone....

Whenever Charles sends us an email regarding running, the subjects of his emails are HI-larious. So here are a few jems...

Gamut Always Loves Sweating (G.A.L.S.)
Charmingly Hopeful, Absolutely Fabulous Exercisers (C.H.A.F.E.)
Now I Concede Everyday Gamut Always Maxes Sassiness (N.I.C.E.G.A.M.S.)
Gamut Is Rad Ladies Racking Up Neon Shoes (G.I.R.L.R.U.N.S.)
Ladies Always Running Properly (L.A.R.P.)
Gamut’s Gyration Goddesses for Jimmie Jingle’s Jams
Susquehanna Squaw Squad Superchargers
Girls Achieving Mobile Uber-Training
Gamut Indomitable Raaaaaaaacer Ladies Society (G.I.R.L.S. )
Mamacitas Vamos Vamos Vamos
Jaunty Princesses Track Team
Maids of The Morning Mist Pristine Athletic Endevours Association

2 comments:

  1. I meant none of us COULD have done it without Charles.......oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bri! I'm so proud of you! And more important than losing those 50 pounds is that you've kept them OFF, and that's amazing!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you for gathering Charles' email subjects in one place. Reading over each one really made me smile from the memories.

    You are a constant inspiration to me, and I love running and working beside you. Although, more often than not, I am running behind you! Eeek! We are so close to this race!

    ReplyDelete