Wednesday, January 4, 2012

SICK!

I just thought I would check in with everyone and let you know how my "progress" has been.

Leading up to our 5K Jingle Bell Run in December was exhilarating!  We had some gorgeous weather over Thanksgiving, so I got outside to run 4-5 times a week from the end of November to the beginning of December.  I ran the 5K and had a great sense of accomplishment.  Yay, me!

After the 5K, I got out several times over the next week and was up to 3-4 miles each time out.  Go, me!

Then... The Crud Invasion hit.

Yes, I got The Crud.  The sickness that's been going around.  Sinus infection, bronchitis, extreme fatigue, coughing, coughing and more coughing.  I have finally recovered from The Crud, but I am now about three weeks behind in training.  Over the Christmas break, I tried to run, but found that I could really only do a brisk walk, with a small amount of running in the middle.  This has me discouraged, as I now feel that I have to start all over to get my breath back for long distance running.

Running outside is more difficult now that temperatures are sometimes in the teens and 20's, but Charles has given us guidelines for working out on a treadmill indoors.  Carolina will be joining my gym tomorrow, and we plan to work out some evenings together.  I like to work out in the morning.  Carolina does not.  But we like to work out together for the running, so we've been having difficulty finding a time that works for both of us.

We (our Gamut Girls Running Squad) are working up to running a 10K (6 miles) in mid-February at a venue in Reading, PA called "Shiver By The River."  I am nervous for getting back on track, but I'm excited, too.  I am so glad I have Bri, Alexis, Carolina and Charles to keep me going.  I think I probably would have given up if I was trying to do this on my own.  The Power of Team! :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment